Laser tattoo removal is a procedure that uses high-energy lasers to break down and remove tattoo pigments in the skin. It is often believed that tattoos are forever, but that is an idea from the past that at Benavides Aesthetic Medicine we can solve.
What is the procedure to remove a tattoo with a laser?
Below we describe the general laser tattoo removal procedure:
- Initial consultation. Before starting the procedure, an initial consultation is carried out. During this consultation, the tattoo and surrounding skin are evaluated to determine the most appropriate type of laser and approach.
- Eye protection. Both the patient and the specialist wear protective glasses to prevent any damage to the eyes caused by the laser.
- Skin preparation. The skin in the tattoo area is cleaned and disinfected. If the tattoo is large or covers a large area, topical anesthesia may be applied to numb the skin and minimize discomfort during the procedure.
- Laser application. The specialist uses a high-energy ablative laser that emits pulses of light focused on the tattoo pigment. The laser penetrates the upper layers of the skin and targets the pigment, breaking it down into smaller particles.
- Sensations during treatment. During the procedure, it is common to feel a stinging, burning, or stinging sensation as the laser comes into contact with the tattoo.
- Cooling of the skin. To minimize discomfort and protect the skin, a cooling system can be used in parallel to the laser to cool the skin before, during and after each laser pulse.
- Post-treatment. After treatment, an antibiotic cream and dressing may be applied to the treated area to prevent infection and aid healing. Instructions will be provided on how to properly care for the skin in the recovery period.
The number of sessions to remove a tattoo with laser
It is important to note that ablative laser tattoo removal typically requires multiple sessions for optimal results, as the tattoo pigments are gradually removed with each session. The number of sessions necessary will depend on the size, color and depth of the tattoo, as well as the individual characteristics of each person’s skin.
It is essential to seek a qualified and experienced specialist like Dr. María Fernanda Benavides to ensure safe and effective treatment. In addition, the instructions and subsequent care provided by the specialist must be followed for adequate recovery.
At Benavides Aesthetic Medicine we have laser treatments to care for and rejuvenate your skin. Contact us to tell you how to recover the beauty and harmony of your body with our non-invasive treatments.